Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Poem of the Day

The Saddest Song in the World

Was sung today by 12 year old Violet Small
in white stockings with a dirt stain on one knee.

The song was sung into a sour November wind
but no one heard as she dropped her head

adjusted her collar and sang like a million cellos
burning by the ocean, sifting to the sea.

Her tears reflected the stars, the moon
and the blue light from 7816 televisions

playing popular tragedies with theme songs
and muted graphics fading to gray.

Violet whispered the last verse
lit by candles in an empty church

on a quiet street, bell rusting to the dust
of a billion chords. She closed her eyes

dabbed at her cheeks and stumbled past
a crying dog beside her father's final house.

3 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always have the least constructive, meaningful comments. So I'm sorry for that. But I can't help but ask who did that art. It's great.

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The art is by Photographer Tony hamilton, other work by Tony can be seen at Dreamingaloud.com - and yes he is great.
Amanda Hankinson

 
At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Tony Hamilton and I did the art work. Unfortunately nobody asked me if it was alright to use it! This is unacceptable and unecessary as if I had been asked I might have agreed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home