Friday, June 17, 2005

Poem of the Day

Why I'm a Cubs Fan

Because the ivy turns from brown to green
and the grooved fields of Illinois play songs
in the spring. Because one day the girl
cracking jokes at the back of the class
will wink and toss me a kiss. Because I stood
in the dust with sweat on my lip, waiting
for my name. Because the most hopeful man
I ever knew imagined each woman the lost queen
of Australia. Because at dusk I wait
for the rarest bird to land, shuddering and safe
in my tiny outstretched hand.

4 Comments:

At 1:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I just don't understand why you must write such nice things. It makes me jealous and miss talking to you! I hope you're having fun at AGS, mister.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Sean said...

Yes, that's the plan. Weekends off, but tomorrow . . . tomorrow I write. Thanks for the comments you and Brittany. You all should know each other.

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, we kind of do. She knows my boyfriend (but not me).

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Sean said...

That's right. She's awesome. My friend Brittany is an Awesome Brittany. (I saw that on a bumper sticker, but I like the sentiment).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home