Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Poem of the Day

Kisses of the Union: All the Way to Arkansas

Drunken flies buzzed my ear
as I whispered to her mouth,
"Guess the state" and kissed her
my idea of Tennessee--
its long-night drive
and its whiskey breath,
its rusted roadside wrecks
and burning barns.

"Alabama?" she drawled
into my neck and dropped
a scuffed shoe
on the concrete floor. "My turn"
she said with two blinks
and a serious laugh.

And so I am here,
driving through bugs
breaking like pills
on my windshield
driving through the moon
splashed on the macadam
all the way to Arkansas.

2 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That made me smile.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger zom said...

how many girls do you have fawning over you based on poems like this one?

it sort of makes my heart go pitter-pat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home