Friday, December 17, 2004

The Mighty Squash

I'm done with grading! I'm done with grading! So, here's what I'm eating right now on December 17th at 1:17 in the afternoon: spaghetti squash which I baked the night before (40 mins or so at 350) and scraped out. Then I added pesto from the store and chopped pecans that I student got me for Christmas. How great does that sound? I'm all about the spaghetti squash right now--Kirsten had it with red sauce, I know it would be great in a casserole as well. All right -- first bite: great texture stuff going on, crunchy pecans, nice almost crispness in the squash as well. Now, some Natural Light . . . delicious. I exhaled like on tv saying, "ahhhh." So, the nuts are just a little extra fat if you're looking for that sort of thing. I think thinking about texture is good though. Perhaps all cooking is science and texture: acid/base (I watched a whole show on balance of acid/base once), how cheeses break and how to fix them. All that's science. So, I have made a great base, but I'm missing the acid, so I'd go with a spinach salad with vinagrette or something. I made a dressing in Greece that I've been meaning to try again with vinegar, oil, orange juice, lemon and sugar over spinach that was great. Acid and Base is why dressings are good I guess. Or you could balance this with some nice white wine.

Anyway, all is well. Ben, Julie, Elena and Emily will be here tomorrow, then up to Fayetteville. I'm cooking spinach lasagna tomorrow, and I might try that dressing again for them. I hope all is well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home