Sunday, December 12, 2004

Soup

I made some vegetable soup tonight: cabbage, carrots, potatoes, turnips, celery, tomatoes, rosemary, basil and pepper flakes. I am reminded, almost every time I make vegetable soup, of kindergarten. We made a big pot of soup in class once, and looking back, that seems like a strange thing to do. I was in charge of peeling potatoes. Other things I remember from Bates: We had a contest where we jumped over a "creek" which was represented by two ropes, and the teacher kept making the creek wider, so that eventually, you'd get your shoes "wet." This was all a ploy to get us up to speed on the shoe tying process. Also, I remember learning how to bow to the little girls in the class, and they learned how to curtsy, and I kind of remember learning how to curtsy as well. That's weird isn't it? The curtsy is a dying art for sure. I'm trying to create an atmosphere of Christmas here, so even if it's 60 degrees outside, I'm in here making steamy soup listening to Eartha Kitt sing "Santa Baby" which I heard while driving to a post party party last night on the radio. I downloaded it today to put in the Christmas CD I'm making. I did a tiny bit of recording last night on the PC.

6 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Blogger Sean said...

No, that sounds a bit too scatological for Bates Elementary. I don't think we wanted to get into all that representation of death and whatnot, and least that's what Miss Simpson told us at the time.

 
At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This isn't a comment on your post, but just wanted to say I like the new layout. Is purty.

--Emily

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger James said...

We had that jumping contest too. I remember right after I landed in the "creek" the girl behind me got a running start and cleared the far rope. I didn't know you could do that. Nobody told me you could get a running start. God, I hated that bitch.

 
At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good god James, let it go. I had been watching the 1976 Olympics, and I got an idea to do it. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, but you smell anyway.

--your nemesis, Becky Beauchamp

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Sean said...

Thanks "Emily" if that is your real name. The theme is all, "I'm fresh and I don't care! Springy is the thingy!" And then I was all, "yeah, but aren't you a bit too gay?" And the theme was all, "Fo Sho!" And then I got all, "that's cool, I guess" and posted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home